Cairns Convention Centre
The Cairns Convention Centre (CCC) is a world class venue featuring 22 meeting rooms. It is ideal for events from 300 – 2500 delegates and has been ranked in the top four convention centres in the world (2002-2012) and awarded World‘s Best Congress Centre (2004)AIPC (International Association of Congress Centres).
The CCC allows our city to host world thought leaders, bringing conferences and events that put Cairns on the international stage. The venue provides social benefits and knowledge transfer from the world’s best to our very own, and is a community link hosting sports, school formals, graduations and dinners.
To continue to grow this legacy for the benefit of our region long into the future, it is time to renew and expand.
- Expand the CCC by adding 3,000m2 of new exhibition space and associated meeting rooms to enable the Centre to grow convention business and host larger events.
- Refurbish the existing Centre to allow it to remain a leading edge facility for the next 25 years.
The benefits of this proposal are:
- The CCC, awarded World’s Best Congress Centre 2004 & 2014, brings worldwide recognition to Cairns and Queensland;
- New exhibition space will add around $30M additional economic impact to the region each year. Additional convention business will be a catalyst for investment in the region, in particular with continued hotel refurbishments and new hotel infrastructure;
- New exhibition space with associated meeting rooms have the opportunity to add 11 direct and around 350 indirect jobs from year three. Over 300 workers are expected be employed to undertake the construction;
- An expansion will bring an additional 25 large conventions and events to Cairns each year, attracting world leaders in their field to our region;
- Around 20,000 additional visitors per year will experience our city. Some will stay, some will invest here and all will leave an economic or social benefit for us to enjoy; and
- Continue the link with the city’s universities to bid for, facilitate and host events and conventions which will aid recognition and improve the reputation, profile and funding opportunities for our universities and academics.
PROJECT COSTS AND TIMELINES
>$100M, allocation of funding 2017/18 Financial Year
That the Cairns Convention Centre refurbishment and extension has funding confirmed in the 2017 Queensland State Budget with construction to commence in 2018.
CEO, Advance Cairns
Ph: 07 4080 2900
|PROPONENT:||Cairns Convention Centre|