Cairns Convention Centre
As part of the 2017 Budget, the Queensland State Government’s Regional Action Plan for Far North Queensland announced:
“The Cairns Convention Centre (the Centre) is a significant venue for the Cairns area and plays an integral role in the Cairns regional economy, attracting national and international conferences, conventions, concerts and sporting events. The Centre has been recognised as one of the world’s best congress centres, being voted World’s Best Congress Centre in 2004 and 2014; and has been in the top four convention centres in the world from 2002 to 2016.
The Government is building on its commitment to the Centre in the 2017-18 Budget, providing $176 million over two years from 2018-19 to refurbish and expand the Centre, following consideration of a business case. This will enable the Centre to continue to capitalise on the national and international convention market in an increasingly competitive environment and activate other investment in supporting infrastructure in the area.”
Full Refurbishment of the Existing Centre
This phase brings a full refurbishment of the current centre with a new contemporary feel and upgraded configuration to meet the needs of current conference requirements.
This refurbishment will allow the Centre to remain contemporary and competitive in the National and International convention market into the future. This will allow the Centre to retain its market share particularly with new and refurbished centres coming on line throughout Australia.
Along with the refurbishment of the current Centre, this phase adds an extension of exhibition halls and associated meeting space to allow the Centre to grow business and economic impact.
The extension will contain 3,000 square meters of exhibition space, associated meeting rooms and adjoining foyer areas.
THE BENEFITS OF THIS PROPOSAL
- The CCC, awarded World’s Best Congress Centre 2004 & 2014, continually brings worldwide recognition to Cairns and Queensland;
- New exhibition and meeting space will add around $30M additional economic impact to the region each year.
- Additional convention business will be a catalyst for investment in the region, in particular with continued hotel refurbishments and new hotel infrastructure;
- New exhibition space with associated meeting rooms have the opportunity to add 11 direct and around 350 indirect jobs from year three. Over 300 workers are expected be employed to undertake the construction;
- An expansion will bring an additional 25 large additional events to Cairns each year, attracting world leaders in their field to our region;
- Around 20,000 additional visitors per year will experience our city. Some will stay, some will invest here and all will leave an economic or social benefit for us to enjoy; and
- Continue the link with the city’s universities to bid for, facilitate and host events and conventions which will aid recognition and improve the reputation, profile and funding opportunities for our universities and academics.
PROJECT LOCATION AND SUPPORT
That the State Government honour the 2017 Budget commitment to refurbish and extend the Cairns Convention Centre with design and construction to commence in 2018,
CEO, Advance Cairns
Ph: 07 4080 2900
|PROPONENT:||Cairns Convention Centre|