Cairns Convention Centre
The Cairns Convention Centre is a world class venue featuring 22 meeting rooms, ideal for events from 300 – 2,500 delegates.
The Centre has been in the top 4 convention centres in the world 2002-2012, including World‘s Best Congress Centre 2004, AIPC (International Association of Congress Centres).
The Cairns Convention Centre (CCC) allows our city to host world thought leaders bringing conferences and events that put us on the international stage. The CCC provides social benefits and knowledge transfer from the world’s best to our very own and is a community link hosting sport, school formals, graduations and dinners. To allow the CCC to continue to grow this legacy for the benefit of our region long into the future, it is time to renew and expand.
- Expand the CCC by adding 3,000m2 of new exhibition space and associated meeting rooms to enable the Centre to grow convention business and to host larger events.
- Refurbish the existing Centre to allow it to remain at the leading edge of Convention Centre’s for the next 25 years.
The benefits of this proposal are:
- the CCC, awarded Worlds Best Congress Centre 2004 & 2014 brings worldwide recognition to Cairns and Queensland;
- new exhibition space will add around $30M additional economic impact to the region each year. Additional convention business will be a catalyst for investment in the region in particular with continued hotel refurbishments and new hotel infrastructure;
- new exhibition space with associated meeting rooms have the opportunity to add 11 direct and around 350 indirect jobs from year three. Over 300 workers are expected be employed in construction;
- an expansion will bring an additional 25 large conventions and events per year to Cairns attracting
world leaders in their field to our region to share knowledge with our own;
- around twenty thousand additional visitors per year will experience our city. Some will stay, some will invest here, all will leave an economic or social benefit for us to enjoy; and
- continue the link with the city’s universities to bid for, facilitate and host conventions relating to their fields of expertise which will aid recognition, reputation, profile and funding opportunities to the universities and academics.
PROJECT COSTS AND TIMELINES
>$100M, allocation of funding 2017/18 Financial Year
That the Cairns Convention Centre refurbishment and extension has funding confirmed in the 2017 Queensland State Budget with construction to commence in 2018.
Kevin Byrne, CEO, Advance Cairns
Ph: 07 4080 2900
|PROPONENT:||Cairns Convention Centre|