Cairns Convention Centre
As part of the 2017 Budget, the Queensland State Government’s Regional Action Plan for Far North Queensland announced: “The Cairns Convention Centre is a significant venue for the Cairns area and plays an integral role in the Cairns regional economy, attracting national and international conferences, conventions, concerts and sporting events. The Centre has been recognised as one of the world’s best congress centres, being voted World’s Best Congress Centre in 2004 and 2014; and has been in the top four convention centres in the world from 2002 to 2016. The Government is building on its commitment to the Centre in the 2017-18 Budget, providing $176M over two years from 2018-19 to refurbish and expand the Centre, following consideration of a business case. This will enable the Centre to continue to capitalise on the national and international convention market in an increasingly competitive environment and activate other investment in supporting infrastructure in the area.”
Full refurbishment of the Centre will allow it to remain contemporary, competitive and retain its market share in the national and international convention market into the future, particularly with new and refurbished centres coming on line throughout Australia. Extension of exhibition halls and associated meeting space will allow the Centre to grow business and increase its economic impact.
THE BENEFITS OF THIS PROPOSAL
- The Centre (awarded World’s Best Congress Centre 2004 & 2014) continually brings worldwide recognition to Cairns and Queensland.
- New exhibition and meeting space will add around $30M additional economic impact to the region each year.
- Additional convention business will be a catalyst for investment in the region, in particular with continued hotel refurbishments and new hotel infrastructure.
- New exhibition space with associated meeting rooms have the opportunity to add 11 direct and around 350 indirect jobs from year three. Over 300 workers are expected be employed to undertake the construction.
- An expansion will bring an additional 25 large additional events to Cairns each year, attracting world leaders in their field to our region.
- Around 20,000 additional visitors per year will experience our city. Some will stay, some will invest here and all will leave an economic or social benefit for us to enjoy.
- Continue the link with the City’s universities to bid for, facilitate and host events and conventions which will aid recognition and improve the reputation, profile and funding opportunities for our universities and academics.
- Full refurbishment of the current Centre with a new contemporary feel and upgraded configuration to meet the needs of current conference requirements.
- A 3,000 square meter extension containing new exhibition space, associated meeting rooms and adjoining foyer areas.
PROJECT COSTS AND TIMELINES
≥ $176 million with allocation of funding in the 2017/18 – 2020/21 financial years.
Sheridan and Wharf Streets, Cairns City.
Expansion and refurbishment of the existing Cairns Convention Centre (the Centre) is required for the Centre to continue to capitalise on the national and international convention market in an increasingly competitive environment and activate investment in supporting infrastructure in the area.
That the Queensland State Government honours the 2017 Budget commitment to refurbish and extend the Cairns Convention Centre with design and construction to commence in 2018.
CEO, Advance Cairns firstname.lastname@example.org Ph: 07 4080 2900
|PROPONENT:||Cairns Convention Centre|