Our current advocacy efforts centre around our key infrastructure and policy priorities which have been developed with the support of key regional organisations. The single list covers both Federal and State issues, and identifies the catalytic projects and policy required to support our future growth.
We have built strong and trusted relationships across all levels of Government. We have developed partnerships that enhance the region’s profile and influence. Advance Cairns is seen and acknowledged as a representative and authoritative voice for the Tropical North Queensland region.
Recent advocacy activity and outcomes
- The inclusion of key elements in the Northern Australia White Paper (Nullinga Dam, Hann Highway), the Agriculture Minister’s list of key water infrastructure and the Agriculture Competitiveness Paper (Nullinga Dam) are significant outcomes.
- We commissioned studies to support the business case for the development of Nullinga Dam, and surveyed the market to identify development interest. This includes opportunities with the expansion of irrigated agriculture in the region.
- The Prime Minister recently announced support to fund the completion of the sealing of the Hann Highway. We have urged the Government to bring forward planned Bruce Highway funding to support growth in Cairns’ southern corridor.
- Health funding for the region will increase through the new Primary Health Care network arrangements.
- We advocate for a Marine and Defence solution for our region securing ongoing funding commitments.
- We have supported the development of our education sector, particularly with new and expanded courses as well as enabling infrastructure for our two universities.
- We have supported the development of the Cairns Port, new aviation routes, reform to customs and immigration and passenger movement charges and Government support post natural disasters.